These tasty little truffles formed the sweet course that rounded off the inaugural Saltaire Supper event I co hosted with Phil Garvey of the brilliant Cap and Collar.
I wanted to send our guests off into the November night with a deep, rich and dark chocolaty taste on their lips and Phil came up with the brilliant beer pairing of Hawkshead Brewery’s Tonka Bean Imperial Stout (8.5%), which I also used in the truffles themselves.
Ingredients (makes 20)
- 65ml tonka bean stout
- 30g unrefined dark muscovado sugar
- 150g 80% or above dark chocolate
- 150g toasted and crushed hazelnuts
Tonka bean stout and dark chocolate truffles
- Warm the beer and sugar in a saucepan and whisk gently until the sugar is fully dissolved. Do not allow the beer to simmer or boil.
- Pour the beer mixture into a ban marie with all the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Pour onto a plate and allow to cool. Then refrigerate for an hour.
- Once cooled, roll into even sized truffles and roll in the hazelnuts.
- Chill, but serve at room temperature. The truffles will keep for several days if you need to make them in advance.